Saturday, December 5, 2009

BORING wedding...yawn

Yesterday I attended the most boring wedding dinner ever. It was Eileen and Derrick's big day. She's like my long-time-but-not-very-close-friend from cell group and we were students when we got to know each other. So I thought it would be swell to attend her wedding. David didn't come along even though he was invited.

So I put my best (brave) face forward and braced for a lonely night out, hoping that I would at least know someone from somewhere. Alas, it was not to be. Table 17 was full of Eileen's mahjong clique and there was only a couple of people I know by face somewhere in the sea of people. In my typically not-so-punctual style, I arrived only to find a seat between two men. One was an "uncle" type and the other was a 20-something young man, both engaged in an animated conversation about stocks and shares. There were two seats between them so their volume was pretty loud. I felt like an intruder as the rest at the table took a casual glance at me and resumed with their insipid chatting. I plopped my butt on the seat to find myself largely ignored, virtually invisible, stuck in the crossfire between the two gesturing yakking men. Not even an acknowledgement of my presence. Impeccable manners some people have. I mean, at least say hello before resuming whatever topic. No one else on the table would meet my eye.

Salvation came in the form of another young man named Alex who sat on the empty seat on my left. He introduced himself and made conversation. Now that their view was cut off, the spell was broken for Mr Right Hand Side finally, and I was able to introduce myself. Whoa, I actually got some attention from him. Woohoo...I'm not invisible! I actually made it alive for the next 2 and half hours indulging in gastronomic delights. Had 3 bowls of sharksfin soup fyi cos 3 people from the table moved away later. Eating sharksfin seems to come with a stigma nowadays. I wouldn't normally order sharksfin soup at a restaurant, but well, since it's already been served, why let the poor shark die for nothing. Yeah, I know it sounds lame..OK, I enjoy the taste of sharksfin soup and I've been a glutton. Happy?

So if I may philosophize here...the moral of the story seems to be: Wise man attend wedding with friends. Foolish man die of boredom.

No comments: