Monday, December 21, 2009

Biscuit Teacher


I have been a certified couch potato recently, totally obsessed with this Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy korean drama series. Late nights ensued and I found myself stuck to the telly till 4am sometimes, unable to stop. Nothing much got done this week. All my spare time was spent with my best friend, Mr TV.  Having never been a fan of Korean drama, I was surprised to find myself being so devoted. In my defense, I didn't buy the DVD. The hubby did, thinking it was just a movie. (yeah, some finger-pointing here). Btw, I highly recommend 200 Pounds Beauty; it's a bag of laughs. Or even The Scandal Makers, featuring a curly-haired little imp.

This story is about a teacher who returns to her former school because of the art teacher whom she has a crush on. They almost got married but she finds herself falling in love with her student, who happens to be the nephew of this art teacher. The plot was a bit far-stretched in the sense that there were so many unbelievable obstacles to overcome. Plus the students don't seem to have to study. I wasn't impressed with the choice of lead actress Kong Hyo -jin. (Aiyo, I can never remember how to spell these Korean names!). Kong was not exactly eye candy and drifted through the show with knitted brows. Her insipidness is totally irritating! You wanna slap her character and ask her to wake up her idea.

Since in Hollywood movies, all men are tough cookies, and even in Asian films, men shed blood and not tears, it was refreshing to see Korean men weeping openly, although it did get a bit too emo at times. I watched Gong Yoo in Coffee Prince but he didn't make much of an impression then. In this series, he was so charming in his role as a pre-U student wooing his teacher. He had such cute puppy eyes and the messy crop of hair that makes you wanna run your fingers through! Totally adorable! It was kinda a stretch watching him play a 19 year-old though. I mean, just look at that physique. Which teenager looks like that?! At that age, we were plagued with pimples and most boys were scrawny and awkward. I just finished the ending an hour ago. It wasn't much of an ending, which was very disappointing.  Why couldn't they just walk off into the sunset? But anyway, for me, phew...life can go on again.

No comments: