Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bitching about the Neighbours

It's midnight and it's so wonderfully serene here at home. I'm in a whiney mood so I think I'll indulge in everyone's favourite activity - gossip. The last 2 weeks, 4 neighbours have moved out and another unit looks set to do so this month. 2 families opposite mine have gone away for the holidays. I especially enjoy that the China family on the third floor is gone for a while. It is a respite from the constant yelling and bickering and wailing from children, loud cheena music and invasion of privacy.

I know I'm bitching here, but this family has a culture of loitering on the balcony. I don't know if it's the mainland Chinese culture, but when their friends visit, perhaps 7 people and a baby will be squatting or sitting on the 4m by 1.5m area talking and smoking into the wee hours. Everyday the balcony will be used by the babysitter or granny to feed the 5 year-old kid, who will use a pencil to knock the metal railings so that there will be a jarring metallic noise. Sometimes, the dad will roll about on the floor of the balcony with his son. On one occasion, I checked out the non-stop crying outside only to find their toddler locked out in the balcony in the hot afternoon sun. What is it with this family and the balcony? Hellloooo....there's a certain area called the "living room"! I hope that they will be away the whole month!! Happy holidays to you my comrades neighbours.

The other thing I'm happy about is the ground floor Indian ladies moving out. They have this weird vibe about them. Whenever I swim, they will 'coincidentally' happen to walk out of their apartment, presumably to 'check' on their cat. In fact, if you so happen to chat with other neighbours in the pool area, that will be sure to garner at least a peek or two from behind the curtains. My expat neighbours told me on the day they moved in, one of the ladies invited herself into their penthouse to have a free tour!! Once, I found the oldest lady hanging out just outside my door. Totally peculiar family! Anyway good riddance.

No comments: