Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bikers are "Nuisances"??

I've always thought Singaporean drivers have deplorable attitudes towards bikers. Yesterday I chatted with a cab driver. When he discovered I ride a bike, he asked me what I thought about riders on the road. 


What was shocking to me was that he thought we were "nuisances". He even recounted the "good old days" when riders were relegated to the leftmost lane. Downright NASTY!


I was dumbfounded that he could say that to me after he knew that I ride a bike too. Maybe I should have smacked him on the head with my pastel pink clutch for saying that. Bad Uncle!!


Bikers are NOT second class citizens on or off the roads. Just because they use a (usually) cheaper transport alternative does not mean their lives are any less precious than yours or mine! I feel that many drivers think bikers are people who simply can't afford cars. Mine you... some bikes cost more than cars.


With all the Harleys, BMWs, Ducati and other powerful rides, why should bikers even solely use the left lane. Come to think of it, putting heavy vehicles, trucks etc on the left lane together WITH bikers is just a recipe for disaster!!! Which genius in LTA came up with that rule?? So glad they scrapped it.


 Look at the fatalities on the roads...most of them are bikers. Granted, there are irresponsible riders who are reckless and weave in and out of traffic. However, there probably are more drivers out there who think their grandfathers own the road. 


I think people learning their Basic Driving Theory should be educated to respect riders as equals on the roads.

No comments: