Thursday, November 12, 2009

High drama at KLCC

Went to KL over the last few days. Some high drama last night made me the centre of attention at KLCC. Had a horrific run-in with a taxi driver that ended up in a police report. I would call him a sucker cos he cheated by taking a long route on the highway, knowing that we were tourists. He had seen us poring over a map and gestured to us in his taxi.

During the highway ride, I noticed that he had skipped the KLCC exit, so we confronted him about it. He denied everything and pretended that he was just doing his job. Any idiot would know he was lying because he became very nervous, drove faster and tried to cut lanes in the peak-hour jam. The exit he took also led to a very 'ulu' area, which obviously would not be anywhere near the city.

When we reached our destination, the fare was RM37.  Then when we refused to pay the full fare, he insisted to take us to the police. There was some confusion as I told him to stop us in front and let the security handle the matter. I didn't want to be taken anywhere else. Who knows where he might take us. So I tried to play the heroine by leaping out of the taxi while it was moving off. It didn't seem to be moving very fast when I opened the door. However, it wasn't very successful cos I ended up losing my shoes 10m back, knocking down some traffic cones with the car door, and getting some bruises on my bum and thighs. Definitely very unglam as I let out a piercing scream that made the sucker come to an abrupt halt. Of course, in retrospect, I do realize it was a bit foolhardy to do what I did. I could have ended up in a thick cast for months.

Some people crowded around us after I retrieved my shoes. Passers-by, security guards, and some another busybody cab-driver came to make sense of the incident. The driver had the cheek to insist on his full fare, daring us to go ahead and complain about him. He seemed nervous that I asked him if he would be responsible for my injuries though. I think he must be hoping that we would be one of those complacent tourists who would put the matter behind. Not me. It took us more from midnight to 1am to make that police report. I think if enough people stand up for their rights, it would make enough of a difference to make society a better place. Even if the authorities do not take any action, at least this driver will think twice the next time he tries to pull off the gangster stunt on another hapless tourist.

No comments: