Friday, August 13, 2010

Marina Barrage on National Day Weekend



We went to the Marina Barrage on National Day. My first time there. Obviously I'm not your typical "kiasu" Singaporean who'll jostle with the crowd for the latest new venue. I haven't been to Universal Studios and Marina Sands either. 

The vintage car clubbers were there, and I snapped a photo of this fabulous MG right before the owner came along and drove it away. Vintage cars are sooo cool! Love the wheels and its spokes.

The fantastic design of the barrage gives many opportunities for great photos. Except I only had my Canon compact. Love the curves. At the top, it provides 360 degrees view of the city skyline and the waters.

Unfortunately, navigating our way around was challenging with the hazards of kites flying haphazardly over my head and nylon strings loose on the ground tripping me up. Not to mention kids and moms stopping me every minute to pet my dog.

Look at this: at least a few hundred kites in the air, no thanks to the kite shop at the barrage doing roaring business. Wasn't a great idea to go there pre-National Day I guess.

There was a wonderful breeze though. Great for Tiger, who is at that moment what you call a "hot dog", panting away.

Just look at that crowd behind on this tiny little piece of land. Unbelievable!

This little tranquil jetty brings back fond memories of Italy's Lake Garda.


Love this pic of my baby and I. He is sooo super cute. And oh, if you're a parent who doesn't mind having your kids soaking wet, there's a fountain at the barrage too. Somehow, ever since Bugis Junction came up with its pond-less fountain, followed by Vivocity's "wading fountain", fountains have never been the same again. It seems all fountains are fair game for kids, doubling up as a playground as long as there are no barricades. Personally, I do think that it is rather dangerous for kids to be near powerful, shooting jets of water. However there is no denying the fun factor. 

So anyway, if I were ever going to visit the Barrage again, any weekend anywhere near a public holiday is an absolutely lousy idea.

No comments: