Sunday, October 24, 2010

R.I.P Sonic



22.10.2010

That was the date Sonic the hedgehog left us. This post is in memory of her.



2 Feb 2009. Sonic and Super were the only ones who were uncurled in the batch. So naturally we picked them back. They were siblings.

They were just 2 months old. Small enough to fit into my palm.


This is Super her brother in their first tank. Sonic was more shy and preferred to hide.




Here's how flexible they are. They feel so soft underneath it's like marshmallow. Somehow they like to produce the foam when they lick themselves.

 Sonic was the touchy one. She curls into this ball when she gets turned over. But she's so chubby that she can't disappear totally. She gets scared easily and huffs quite a lot to protect herself. I attribute that grouchiness to a bad experience when she was young. She got stuck in a tight spot and we had to dig her out with a stick. I guess that incident stuck in her mind.


Here's one of her soundly asleep with her head in a toilet roll so that it appears dark. Just in case you're wondering, the metal spokes above are just the ends of the water bottles.

Here's Sonic feeling ill. She kept lying on her side after the bout with pneumonia. We thought she had recovered as she was eating normally. We thought it was just that she had become paralyzed on one side as a result of it.

Yesterday, she was so ill that she refused to eat her favourite meal worms and drink water. I rushed her to the vet where they tried to resuscitate her and force feed her. It was too late... At 2pm they called me that she wasn't doing well. Then the vet called me personally to explain that they tried everything they could, that her temperature went up a bit, but then she vomited twice and collapsed. Sonic was gone. And it's all my fault for not getting her early medical help.




Here's Sonic when I got her back from the vet. It was very hard to control the tears when they handed her to me, even though she was all wrapped up in newspapers. Holding her brought home the reality that she was gone. At home, I took her out to have a last look at her before conducting my private funeral and burial. She looked like she's sleeping soundly but so pale and so stiff. I tried to stroke her spikes but they were prickly cos of rigor mortis.

Ear and chest infection killed her. I feel so guilty and terribly sad. I haven't been a great owner. She didn't even spend 2 years on earth before leaving so prematurely. Let's hope Super outlives her till a ripe old age.

Goodbye Sonic, we miss you and will think of you.

R.I.P.

No comments: