Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Venice

Wondering what this is? Taken along the bridge joining the mainland to Venice itself. There were at least 6 panels of these.

Here, take a closer look...

The great reveal......the stuff is made of chewing gum and cigarette butts!!! I didn't notice until some guy stubbed his cigarette here. Then I took a closer look. Seems to be some kind of tradition for gum-chewers to stick their chewy remains on the panels as a type of modern abstract art. Now, Singapore should have come up with a genius idea like this before banning gum completely.


Here's Venice proper. This is my second trip here and I love everything about this place. Pic is of our first vaporetti ride this trip. This is the public transport they use. Even fire engines and ambulances are boats. If you want a private transport, get your own boat or take their taxis. I didn't bother to ask how much a trip would be, given how spanking new the taxis look, and how fashionably dressed the "taxi-sailors" were. 

The thing about this vaporetti is how skilled the steerers are. They are so experienced at parking their boats next to the berth it doesn't even cause much of a bump. Maybe that's why there are no handles for passengers. You won't hear "man overboard!" anytime soon I guess.

Sky starts to turn gray in an instant. See previous pic for bright sunshine. All within the same boat ride.

We wanted to get off at San Marco to see the Doge's Palace, but dropped off at the wrong stop.


Anyhow, getting lost in Venice isn't such a bad thing. We ended up in a quiet neighbourhood 'carpark'.


Strong winds threatening my hair and skirt.


Some concert venue. Concerts every day of the week.


Hubby hamming it up!


It's a little scary how the waters splash up the pavements every now and then.


There, one of those taxi uncles in the background.


Flowers outside a restaurant...so pretty. I don't have green fingers. Doomed are the plants that I lug home with me. Imagine, even cactus die under my care. So whenever I see all these pretty flowers blooming like nobody's business outside someone's abode, it sends a tinge of jealousy and envy through my mind.


This pug is so amusing. It sluggishly lagged behind its owner, ever so reluctant to take the next step. Just look at its pained face. Maybe it is sea-sick since it just stepped off a boat?





I think this should be the Rialto.



On the other side of this statue stands a policeman. He's guarding this shiny-new white-as-snow month-old Euro3.5mil statue, rain or shine. I couldn't take half a step closer if I wanted to. He was already glaring at me. Wouldn't it be cheaper to put some state-of-the art laser beam around this chap?


Gondolas open for business after the rain.





This little fella is so surreal. Like a battery-operated toy dog!





The bridge near the L'Accademia. Probably the prettiest view around.





To top things off, at the end of the bridge stands the most dashing gondolier ever. He seemed hesitant to put his arm on my shoulder. Maybe he was expecting some conservative asian reaction, maybe some hysteric screaming? Like "ahhhhhh you touched me!!".



Colourful cruise ship.


Very intricate, painstaking work on these Venetian masks. These are a notch up from the dime-a-dozen you see around other shops. A lot of artistry went into these.


I know you're thinking...OH NO, not another canine victim! Can't get my hands off them dogs. This one was quite funny. When I grabbed it, it gave its mommy a look, as though I was gonna dog-nap it. Mommy was nonplussed becos auntie here already asked for permission.


At the St.Mark's Square, which is starting to flood again. Btw, if you're thinking of visiting, the cathedral is yet again undergoing renovations. From what I remember, the view from up there is pretty good although the inside is just like any other grand European church.


Kids having fun in flood water. 


If we had time, I'd have sat around to people watch. The cafes here have live music from chamber orchestras (and very expensive coffees).


Anyway, goodbye Venice. Till next time.


No comments: