Friday, June 6, 2014

Gold Coast Day 4 - Dream World

The Towers of Chevron Renaissance

I think accommodation can make or break a holiday so I definitely have to blog about the serviced apartment at Surfer's Paradise. The name is quite a mouthful, but I really enjoyed the stay there. The hotel is not new, but well-maintained. The pool is gorgeous but sadly, I had no time to use it. It is conveniently located right above a supermarket, plus there is another just minutes away, and is right where the retail action is. All I needed to do was shop a bit, pop up, deposit the bags, have a drink and get ready for round 2. There were also tour companies for me to book discounted entertainment like the Dracula show (which is worth every cent of its price), as well as food all around. The Dracula horror house and Infinity (which I will write about later) is also within minutes. (I congratulated myself on my unbelievable great choice of accommodation when I realized all these. Heh. )







The room rates are very reasonable for a 2 bedroom apartment equipped with a kitchenette and a 270 degrees view. The living room faces the ocean and the bedrooms provide views of the river behind.  My only grouses were that the TV was too small and the sofa was flaking.



Gorgeous view from my bedroom

Movie World

How's an Australian holiday complete without a visit to its famous theme parks, right? I would have loved to visit all the 3 major parks, namely, Movie World, Sea World and Dream World except that I was short on time. I decided on Dream World after quite a bit of research. From what I could gather, Sea World has been accused of mistreating their mammals and people complained of the lack of shelter from the sun. Movie World caters to families and fans of Warner Bros. The choice boiled down to Dream World because it had the most exciting rides, and also that it was possible to visit the adjoining  White Water Park in a same-day pass.

Channeling my inner biker teddy






My favorite gig will be laser quest Kevin Hill. It reminded me of zombie-themed movie Silent Hill. You will be greeted by a Sergeant, who treats you as his new recruit. Once in, you will be given an explanation of the scenario. We were all given vests to wear and lights will blink either red or blue indicating the team you belonged to. Once in, try to shoot members of the opposite team whose lights will blink yellow when hit. When you are hit, you will be unable to shoot for 10 seconds, so lie really low till you recover. There is a score tally at the end of the game to identify the sharpest shooters and the winning team.


My fave recruit Jason Chee


The Tower of Terror is also highly recommended. Basically the ride you sit in gains momentum going backwards, propelling you up the tower, where you will be facing the ground on the way back.




On the opposite side of this ride is where you rise to the highest point of the park, enjoy a breathtaking but suspenseful view (wondering when the machine will let you go) of the area, snort in some fresh air, squirm in your seat before experiencing a 6 seconds free fall.

If you are looking for something more comfortable, try The Claw. It is basically a huge swing cum merry-go-round. Fun but a little more tame.



White Water Park is about half the size of Dream World, so you don't have to spend so much time there. I did try the Wedgie, which lives up to its name. Standing in the capsule, I had no idea what to expect after the trap door opened and released me to a almost vertical drop down a tube. My eyes were shut all the way, and with water surging all over my face, there was no space to breathe. I thought I was gonna drown except that redemption came in 6 seconds when I landed. I got up in a blur and stepped off the slide before realizing the life guard had a full view of my exposed butt cheeks. Cheers to that.

So, was it value for money? Yup, I would definitely go again. One day is too short. And this time, I will make sure I cover the rest of the parks too!


No comments: