Monday, April 28, 2014

Gold Coast Day 1

It's been some time since I last blogged, so to get the rusty old engine cranking again, I decided to do a short piece on my short but enjoyable trip Down Under. The first day was a bummer because I arrived in the morning sans my traveling companion (but we shall not go into that). 

So left alone to my devices, I went on a Curtis Falls Creek Glow Worm tour. It wasn't cheap, but the experience was totally worth the price and the trek into the woods. The driver cum tour guide comes to pick us up  about 6pm and takes us up the Tambourine Mountains. We stop for a short session of light pastries and drinks at a quaint little rustic cafe along the way and for views of the city skyline before ascending higher to the tracks. It was rather chilly at night, so if you are thinking of a forest tour at night, do bring some warm clothes, especially after a rain. 

What I really loved about going up to the mountain were the stars! Being a city dweller means I don't get to see stars that really look like diamonds in the sky. The 3 other Singaporean ladies and I were like 'mountain tortoises' (very apt for this location) as we gaped into the sky and marveled at how sparkly and glittery they were.

The guide was a bag of laughs and very educational at the same time. Along the way, he pointed out some creatures of the night, mainly insects as well as provided first hand insight into why some trunks (as pictured) are hollowed out.


The following picture shows the entrance to the den of the Trap Door Spider. We peeked in, and true enough, a shy but ferocious spider burrows deeper into the tunnel. They can be quite lethal, so we were happy to just take a peek.



One tip for the adventurous: I would recommend bringing some salt along if you are brave enough to do the trekking without a guide. Due to the recent rainfall, leeches were a problem and we were careful to avoid the grass. One Kiwi lady did lose some blood to a small leech. What the salt does as you sprinkle it on the leech, is to cause it to drop off magically! Spot the leech below. Hint: it has a stripe of yellow along its body.



Anyhow, about 20 minutes into the trek, when we reached the end of the route where there was a waterfall and a creek, our guide instructed us to switch off all the small torches we were given and let our eyes adjust to the darkness. After about 3 mins, we were all awe-struck. Into the darkness where were all stared, were greenish specks that were at first very faint, which then grew increasing brighter. It was like a wall of stars and the feeling was really surreal. The glow worms gave off a pulsating gentle light that felt almost dreamlike. It is incomparable to anything I had experienced before. In my ignorance, I decided to take a few pictures so that I can share the magic with my friends. This was supposed to be the spot with the densest colony of glow worms. So, here goes.....nothing.


I pointed my camera and snapped away. Nothing. I used the video camera. Also nothing. 

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can use that can capture that moment and take it home with me. Later I found out that camera flashes were detrimental to the worms. It causes a decline in their population. So, if you wish to experience these rare insects, just enjoy the moment. The other alternative is to go for the man-made cave where glow worms are bred, which i shall blog about subsequently.

The trek up was a lot faster and I found myself lagging behind at the back of the queue. It was a scary experience walking alone in the dark. So, do not attempt this trail alone! The forest is a strange place at night.

Stay tuned for day 2!



No comments: